Sunday, November 2, 2008

OMGOSH I am soooooo OLD!

Imagine, if you will, a 60+ woman who has been messing around on the Internet for well over 20 years -- yes, back when it was dial up only and just local BBs to visit -- and I had no idea what some people would go through to 'advertise' their blog and get more visitors. Of course I am from the last generation that actually took our coffee cups up and down the neighborhood when the kids were off to school and visited with all the other stay at home Mom's or night working Mom's (me), and we didn't need to advertise to make friends, we were just there, being friends.
Babysitting, running to the store for a sick mom, borrowing a cup of sugar (YES, we really did that!)
No need to advertise me -- I don't say much, just ramble from time to time ... get excited about other wonderful friends blogs, bible study or family ... no need even to read unless you just wonder what on earth I am up to these days -- I write "snail mail" letters to three people in my life now and occasionally bless another three or four 'special' people with cards and notes, but for the most part, everything is done via email or the phone these days. I do seem to remember a time when a book of stamps barely made it through a week -- but - oh yes - they were 11 cents and less in those days. Why are we so impersonal these days? Sending a hug on the Internet to 20 of our 'closest' friends just doesn't seem to be the same as writing a warm note to one who means a lot to us -- just ten or fifteen minutes a day, maybe twice a week and ~VOILA ~ we have brought a lasting smile to someones face. But I digress -- like that is something new for this old brain! HA!

Holy Moly -- gas was under $2.00 today!! I suggested in my naivety that we purchase gas for both vehicles since holidays are fast approaching, and in my minds eye I can see fuel immediately begin to rise again but my hubby wants to wait a few days to assure that it will again rise and we can pay our just desserts in gasoline taxes once more. Obviously, we don't see eye to eye on this but I gave in as usual in the hopes that it will indeed go up and I can justifiably give him the fish-eye told-ya-so stare (without actually SAYING it of course). Yes, indeed, I am a wicked and perverse old woman!

Am working late tonight selling Heidi Daus jewelry or Command Performance cookware ... something of the sort. Sometimes I love my job, other times it is so difficult to deal with people that I know I will be happy when I don't have to work any longer -- that is when the next five years looms large in my mind.

That is about when my son will be set free as will my aching heart! There could be an early release, maybe a year or more taken off, but we try not to think about that much - after 10+ years, getting our hopes up over anything beyond visiting day is not something we do much. We give the tough questions to the Lord and He does it in His time -- witness to that is finally having contact with Bill's daughter after ten years, many letters and packages ... some returned, some unacknowledged ... then suddenly and unexpectedly she was back in our lives -- YES __ He does provide.

So -- regardless of who or why -- if you haven't voted, get out there and make your voice heard on Tuesday .. it is a right and a responsibility to vote -- besides, if you don't actually mark that ballot, you truly have no right to complain when all is said and done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Pam! Saw your comment on my blog... of course I remember you! But even if I didn't, I'd have no excuse to claim ignorance as my family has been referring to you AS family for as long as I can remember!

Welcome to my blog, but please be warned, I have a very bad potty mouth... or, uh, fingers.